Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Vendor Forums > Aqua Digital > Ecotech

Old 05-17-2012, 03:44 PM

Aqua-Digital is on a distinguished road
Talking Radion LED, accessible by Mac, PC, iOS etc

Straight from Interzoo the latest hot news from Ecotech!

Read more here
http://reefbuilders.com/2012/05/16/ecosmart-live/
Old 05-17-2012, 03:56 PM

Aqua-Digital is on a distinguished road

oops double post
Old 05-17-2012, 05:06 PM

Coralgurl is on a distinguished road

Guess we'll have to see what this looks like once released in June. The fact the radions still need to be plugged into a computer doesn't change how I would program them and I may as well continue to use the laptop. If the radions can go wireless and accessed that way, then this is perfect, but it sounds like its not quite there yet - unless I'm missing something??
Old 05-17-2012, 07:16 PM
Cugio

It sounds like the new release supports wireless connectivity. They have an image of an iPad connected to the radions.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:26 PM

MarkoD is on a distinguished road

The radion needs to be wired to a computer and then you can use an iPad wirelessly

Just like an apex needs to be plugged into a router to use your iPhone
Old 05-17-2012, 08:27 PM

With any computer plugged into to a Radion, you can get full control of Ecotech Marine LED lights and Mac users will finally feel the love. As an added benefit you can use your computer to control the Radion through any mobile device with an internet connection. Got an iPhone, or an Android phone or a Blackberry Playbook hacked to run Ubuntu? No problem. As long as your internet device can handle Java and HTML5 you’ll be able to use your Radion-connected computer to access all features of your Radion including programming, real time adjustment of different LED channels, quick playback of your light programming and group layout, coast to coast sunrise and sunset features and so on.

Read more: http://reefbuilders.com/2012/05/16/e...#ixzz1vA04v33z

Its going to be a while before they are completely wireless, if ever..... for me, I only have an Ipad, I have to use my bf's laptop to deal with my lights. There's no way he's going to let me plug in his laptop while I'm playing somewhere else. I guess if there was a dedicated computer, but that just seems redundant to me.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:25 PM

Borderjumper is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coralgurl View Post
Its going to be a while before they are completely wireless, if ever..... for me, I only have an Ipad, I have to use my bf's laptop to deal with my lights. There's no way he's going to let me plug in his laptop while I'm playing somewhere else. I guess if there was a dedicated computer, but that just seems redundant to me.
I agree.. I just don't see any point if I have to leave a computer hooked up to the lights.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:35 PM

Reefie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borderjumper View Post
I agree.. I just don't see any point if I have to leave a computer hooked up to the lights.
You could try one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o00_s00_i00

I ordered one to use with my Seneye, which utilizes USB connection. I'm not sure how the Radion & Apex connects to a router, but this also has a LAN Cat5 connection as well.

Old 05-17-2012, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefie View Post
You could try one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o00_s00_i00

I ordered one to use with my Seneye, which utilizes USB connection. I'm not sure how the Radion & Apex connects to a router, but this also has a LAN Cat5 connection as well.
Well aren't you a smarty pants something to look at for sure. If the usb connected into the power source instead of the light itself, I could see this working. My concern is 1)the computer is hooked into the light fixture hanging over the tank, 2) kids, 3) pets. Even for a short period of time leaving the cord plugged in unattended or in another room would make me nervous someone somehow would catch the cord. Man I sound super pessimistic today and I'm normally not....sorry. I'm a glass half full kinda person, but this just screams be cautious. I'm ok with hooking up a laptop, making changes then moving on. Might be dangerous to have access any time, just for kicks to see what you can come up with. If it goes completely wireless - great. If not, the way it is works too!
Old 06-05-2012, 12:27 PM

Derek14 is on a distinguished road

I think you will see Ecotech come out with a wireless key for the lights, like the Vertex. Just a matter of time. It would be very smart of them doing so because it would create more sales.