Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Vendor Forums > Aqua Digital > Bubble Magus Club

Old 05-04-2010, 11:50 PM

Aqua-Digital is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up BM Nano Skimmer comes to Canada

We are pleased to announce that the long awaited BM-qq Nano skimmer from Bubble Magus has hit our shores.

This amazingly powerful but compact skimmer is ideal for small tanks up to 75Gallon

YouTube Vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtFeMW-7l4c

Dimensions: 7.75" x 4.33" x 18" (L*W*H)

Cylinder: 3"

Minimum water depth: 13.7"
Minimum aquarium depth: 15"

Pump: Maxijet 1200 115V 12W with enhanced needlewheel

Capability:
Light Bio-load: 290L
Medium Bio-load: 150L
Heavy Bio-load: 120L

MRSP = $139.00CAD

Contact us now to find a local retailer
Old 05-05-2010, 01:11 AM

TheKid is on a distinguished road

WHAt's ur site and do u have any retailer in vancouver

~*~*Stefan*~*~
Formally known as Svaningen
35 gallon Red Sea Max
Only 16 years old!!!!
CALL AFTER 3:00 ON WEEKDAYS. 604 782 3313
Old 05-05-2010, 01:42 AM

Give Chris a call at interior reef and marine.

Or across the water in Victoria progressive reef are full BM stockists
Old 05-08-2010, 06:21 PM

DiverDude is on a distinguished road
Default Adjusting the BMQQ

I have one of these suckers and I'm impressed with the quality of it but I'm having a devil of a time dialing it in.

The prinicipal detractor is the complete absence of any meaningful documentation on the product. For all intents and purposes, there isn't any ! No problem I say, this is a skimmer not a rocket ship; how hard can it be ?

Wellllll......pretty damned challenging !

If you connect it as it was designed (with the air hose connected directly to the collection cup) it immediately and continuously overflows the collection cup in less than 60 seconds. So much for that.

If you take the air valve that comes with the Maxijet 1200 and plug the air hose into that instead of the collection cup, then you can throttle it to a point where it won't overflow but it's very touchy. This is a fairly new setup so we'll have to see how it skims in the longer term but skimmate right now is very wet.

Microbubbles. Lots of them. If you connect the air hose to the collection cup, then the 'cloud' of bubbles are as shown in the picture above in this thread and nothing worth talking about ends up in the display tank (I should mention I have this skimmer installed in a DIY HOB sump). When I connect the air hose to the air valve instead, the cup no longer overflows but the 'cloud' grows dramatically and microbubbles pour out the bottom of the skimmer and into the display.

Arghhhhh !

Any help with this would be GREATLY appreciated.

29 Gal Bowfront w/24" LED Lights. DIY HOB Sump (5.4 Gal) MP40. Orange Spotted Watchman Goby, 2 Clownfish and a few hermits.
Old 05-08-2010, 10:41 PM

Hi

Well bit confused as there is no air valve with any of the units we have in stock, where did you purchase the unit? There is the elbow that screws into the collection cup where the airline is fitted. This is called the air intake kit.

To adjust the skimer you move the body up and down in the bracket until you get the right skimmate, by doing this you are adjusting the back pressure.

The skimmer will skim wet for a while like all skimmers as they bed in.

Instructions - yes we will be removing pigeon English and replacing with Queens

Email me at sales@aqua-digital.com of you need more help as I am not online much at weekends, but am on email.

Last edited by Aqua-Digital; 05-08-2010 at 11:09 PM.
Old 05-09-2010, 03:10 AM

The valve I'm talking about comes with the Maxijet 1200 that runs the skimmer. Each Maxijet comes with a bag of goodies (mounting brackets, intake covers etc. and it was in there.) I got the skimmer (new) from a fellow CanReefer who had bought 2 end ended up only needing one. It was he that told me to use the valve.

After I posted this morning, I watched a number of videos on this skimmer and noticed that they were all mounted higher out of the water than mine (the bottom of my collection cup is perhaps 2.5" above the water line) and I thought that the water pressure may be causing this so I planned to try moving it up a bit tonight. Lo and behold, that's exactly what you're suggesting !

The irony ? When I got home, it seemed to be skimming quite well ! The upside to the way I have it now (with the valve) is that it's a LOT quieter -not that this is an exceptionally noisy unit.

I'll fiddle a bit with the height and try with/without the valve and see how it goes.

29 Gal Bowfront w/24" LED Lights. DIY HOB Sump (5.4 Gal) MP40. Orange Spotted Watchman Goby, 2 Clownfish and a few hermits.
Old 05-09-2010, 12:39 PM

Hi

Glad my support helped. but the valve is NOT part of the BMQQ-2 parts assembly and looking at all BMQQ-1 also there is no valve, I have never heard of the BM-QQ having its inlet air intake restricted this can cause all manner of issues.

So I contacted BM, and no a valve has never been part of the kit, what they think has happened is that a worker left the maxi jet venturi valve that comes with all maxijet pumps in the kit by mistake. I have checked all 23 units here and not one has this valve, so please do not use it. It is not mentioned in the kit list either.

I am glad you are getting it dialed in

Last edited by Aqua-Digital; 05-09-2010 at 12:43 PM.
Old 05-10-2010, 12:47 AM

I can't be sure because I have 4 Maxijet 1200's around here so it's possible i pulled the valve from a different box but the point is that when you buy a maxijet, it comes with a bag of bits and the valve is one of them.

One thing for sure is that running the skimmer without the valve does not work. I can't lift the skimmer any higher because the maxijet comes out of the water and interferes with other equipment which means the valve is my only means of controlling this.

I'm really looking forward to the day when I have a proper setup with a sump under the tank and the skimmer will go in there !

Old 05-10-2010, 01:05 AM

Hi

So it sounds like the skimmer cant run as designed due to other equipment locations restricting its adjustment, in this case I am not sure what advise i can give

The only thing i can say is your not giving the unit long enough to bed in, a skimmer takes up to a week to mature, let is run wet, allow it to get gunky then it will stat to settle in
Old 05-10-2010, 01:21 AM

Flash is on a distinguished road

how will this unit run on a 65gl set-up? I was going to get one for the 25gl tall... but I want to be able to move it up to a 65gl eventually!