Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 07-19-2010, 02:29 AM

abcha0s is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMikey View Post
Absolutely fantastic build. The level of detail and planning incorpotated into the build (as well as the great explanations) could (should?!) be made into a How-To for those looking at building large tanks. You seem to have all your bases covered on your build.

I do have one question, however:

In regards to the steel design (and redesign) I've noticed that on the stand that the aquarium isn't actually sitting on the back brace where you've added the additional support and the entire backside seems to be for the benefit of the overflow alone. You were very concerned in this build early on about having enough support but from my (rather limited, forgive me) knowledge it seems like you are ignoring the rear re-enforcement entirely. Can you give me the rationale for it?

I really hope this doesn't come off as a flame/troll post (it's not I assure you ) I just found it a little odd the way the tank fits on the stand.

Again, fantastic tank journal; it's making me itch for an upgrade
Hey Mikey

Sure - ask me a difficult question.

There are a couple of ways to look at this. Let's make sure we are talking about the same thing.

I believe that you are referring to the fact that the tank sits on Beam B and not Beam A. I did consider this.

The first modification I made to support this arrangement was to add an additional brace from front to back. Where splitting the load in two squares (3'x3') should be sufficient, I am splitting the load in three rectangles (3'x2').

I also figure that the two beams together, being only 2.5" apart and welded in 4 places, will collectively have a strength greater than a single beam.

Finally, I am counting on the distance to the braced beam (Beam A) being small enough that the load will be almost directly transfered between the two beams.

Having said all of that - there's not a lot of science behind it. It's more intuition than anything. If the stand weren't overbuilt, I would be a little more concerned, but I think there is a sufficient safety variable built in to offset the risk of deflection along this beam.

This stand design gives me considerably more space underneath the tank. The extra 4.5" makes a big difference. It also will make it easier to hide some of the plumbing when I start panneling the stand. So far, I don't regret the design.

Anyway, the question is perfectly reasonable, no need to appologize.

- Thanks
Old 07-19-2010, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andestang View Post
Looking supreme ! Is that glass covering your overflow box ? You must of enjoyed having it built at home, seeing the whole thing come together. That's also up my sleeve.
Thanks!!

There is a glass cover for the overflow. It is removable and is primarily there for looks. There may also be a secondary benifit of noise reduction making a quiet overflow almost silent

One note if you are considering something similar. Glass on glass scratches and chips. I will put little rubber feet (matching the silicone thickness) to ensure that the pieces never touch. I considered an acrylic cover, but 15mm acrylic is either very difficult to find, or just not manufactured.

Watching the build was a lot of fun. Can't wait to see yours.

BTW - If you wan't to come check out the tank before you finalize your plans, just let me know.
Old 07-19-2010, 03:18 AM

DiverDude is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcha0s View Post
...Watching the build was a lot of fun.
The voyeur in me wonders if perhaps you happened to video the assembly of the tank.

That would be....awesome

29 Gal Bowfront w/24" LED Lights. DIY HOB Sump (5.4 Gal) MP40. Orange Spotted Watchman Goby, 2 Clownfish and a few hermits.
Old 07-19-2010, 03:27 AM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

When Gary built my old 400 on-site there was a strange smoke/fog surrounding him. The shroud of mystery if you will. Try as I did I could not directly view the magic that is the on-site build.

Actually...I just felt he wanted some privacy and I let him be =)
Old 07-19-2010, 03:38 AM

Default abcha0s' 300G Starphire Ultimate Reef

Sorry - I didn't get any video.

+1 on the privacy consideration. You'll notice that there are no pictures of the mysterious builders surrounded by their shroud of smoke and fog.
Old 07-19-2010, 06:12 AM

andestang is on a distinguished road

I may just have to do that, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcha0s View Post
BTW - If you wan't to come check out the tank before you finalize your plans, just let me know.

150g reef, 55g sump, T5's, Vertech 200A, Profilux III - German made is highly over rated, should just say Gerpan made.

Reefkeeper - individual obsessed with placing disturbing amounts of electricity and seawater in close proximity for the purpose of maintaining live coral reef organisms.
Old 07-19-2010, 02:39 PM

Location: Edmonton, AB...find the earie glow of the T5 lights coming from a house lol
bauder1986 is on a distinguished road

Holly crap, this looks like a developement proposal to me! Nice tank and nice tank build porposal thread
Old 07-20-2010, 06:27 AM

rjengen is on a distinguished road

Alright, you were not kidding when you said it was a little bigger...all I can say is wow! I can't wait to see it all come together...thanks for bringing me to your thread!
Old 08-02-2010, 04:52 AM

<New Content Posted>

Plumbing the Overflow and Return..............Post 15

So, I had the evening to myself yesterday. My wife was working and the kids were sleeping. A rare opportunity for me to work on the tank without interruptions. The next step was to plumb the tank and I have to admit I really wanted to see some water in it.

At one point, I was kneeling on the floor beside the tank. The basement floor was scattered with PVC fittings. Paper towel lay in a pile where I had been placing it after wiping excess glue from the joints. Various tools were within reach. I had the Apple TV streaming ‘Chillout Dreams’ from DI.FM to the home theater – In fact I was really enjoying myself.

It occurred to me that I was sharing an experience of so many others before me. Plumbing the tank. - I’m not talking about professional aquarists, or even when you are working on a tank with friends. It was the solitude that struck me.

Last edited by abcha0s; 02-15-2011 at 05:39 PM.
Old 08-02-2010, 05:14 AM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

I'm not sure I can get too poetic about plumbing but I totally love doing it!

Tags
custom tank, deep dimension, high end, redundant, reef