Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal > Canreef Nano Tank Build Contest #2

Old 07-21-2009, 07:02 PM

BlueAbyss is on a distinguished road

Second bad news... everything looked fine at 10 am... by noon my Royal Gramma was dead. Upon inspecting his body, I found his damaged eye sunken in and a lot of damage on that side of his face... really, I think this is what killed him. It looked like some pretty extensive abrasion, I'm surprised he was able to eat at all while he was alive.

I'll be phoning Bayside Corals today to ask them nicely to remember to tape the corners of the bags when they package their livestock. My fish would likely have lived if he hadn't stuffed himself into the bag corner for the 11 hours he was in a bag.

I'll be doing a round of tests to make sure it wasn't a parameter off. Everything else looks fine though, coral and both crabs are fine... we'll see what the tests say.

Last edited by BlueAbyss; 07-21-2009 at 07:05 PM.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:36 PM

All parameters were fine the next day... 0 ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, 11 dKh, 460 ppm Ca (a little high), ~1400 ppm Mg (not exactly sure, but it's above 1350). So the fish died from another cause... all other livestock is in great shape, I've even noticed some color change on my Palys (less brown, more green).

The dosing seems to have stopped the Bryopsis in it's tracks, and it is quickly being replaced with a red filamentous algae that doesn't grow too long, or is being cropped by the emerald crab. I will likely have to continue with the physical removal for a while.

I phoned Bayside and spoke with Colby... what an awesome guy! He offered me a replacement or credit even though they don't have a livestock guarantee. I will definitely be spending at Bayside again We'll see what happens now. I may go fishless and just get a couple shrimp and another crab. Or I may get another Royal Gramma... this seems more likely.

My substrate had a reddish tinge to it for the past two weeks, and now has changed to a greyish color. Cyano? I dunno, I suspect so but it didn't take over everything like it seems to in other tanks. Gone now, whatever it was.

Last edited by BlueAbyss; 07-23-2009 at 09:57 PM.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:03 AM

Huh, I see I haven't updated this in a while. Alright, current FTS (my thread on NR is so much more organised )...

The rockwork has changed (for the last time!) because while cleaning the glass panels the last time I bumped the rock and it almost pivoted over, but stopped pretty much where it is now. It's just lightly resting on the smaller rock now, since the emerald crab is able to move it and I don't want it falling on the site of future Paly and Zoa frags. I have intentions of putting in live rock rubble and placing my frags there, for easy refragging... I've actually already done this with the green Paly frag and it has already encrusted. I don't really want them directly on my rocks... actually, I don't want any softies on my rock, maybe some blue clove polyps if I can find some. I'll make an exception for gorgonians

I seem to have won the battle with Bryopsis, which is what all that green stuff was, NOT GHA as I originally thought... I do have some red wiry-hairy stuff, but it doesn't seem to croud anything else out like the Bryopsis was doing. I have a few isolated tufts of GHA that have been cropped short and look like mounds of moss (feel like it too), thanks <insert name of emerald crab here> for keeping that stuff short. I like the fresh cut lawn look, but the 'algae forest' thing with the Bryopsis wasn't great. It would seem that Tailored Aquatics Reef Magnesium and Calcium Plus (which also has Mg and Strontium in it, along with an 'organic carbon source') together are a pretty good team.

Noting Paly color change... when I first got it...

And now...

I have identified 3 types of macroalgae on my rocks... Acetabularia schenckii (a really small Mermaid's Wine Glass), Neomeris spp. and Enteromorpha spp. (shown below)...

And my blue legged hermit molted and is now huge! Well, comparatively anyhow... pics of that tomorrow when I get them uploaded, I have an awesome one of him right up against the front glass. He shows less fear of things moving outside the tank now... hmm, weird. I also have one of the molt... I thought I had a dead hermit for a day or so.

Last edited by BlueAbyss; 07-29-2009 at 08:13 AM.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:08 AM

Oops double post... see above

Last edited by BlueAbyss; 07-29-2009 at 08:13 AM.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:13 AM

Everyone loves pics

Blue legged hermit's molt...

And the 'new skin' pic...

Old 07-30-2009, 06:49 PM

ribbie is on a distinguished road

I've seen this tank before....
Old 07-30-2009, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribbie View Post
I've seen this tank before....
No, you haven't. You had this nightmare where you live 400 miles from the nearest LFS and have a 10 gallon reef tank that is really hardcore minimalist as a result.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:23 AM

Hmm, starfish hitchhiker

Some planning has been done as far as rockwork... I need more rock, but not much. I also have some further stocking plans as far as stuff from Calgary... more tomorrow, I`m tired
Old 08-04-2009, 06:02 PM

Chaloupa is on a distinguished road

I'd remove the starfish off the Zoa's. I had a type of asterina that did eat Zoa's .... and with them being on your Zoa frag and your frag looking closed up...I'd get it gone! just IMO

Old 08-04-2009, 09:00 PM

Thank Chaloupa, I have identified him as an Asterina star. He doesn't seem to be doing any damage to the Palys but I should have removed him when I found him. Ah well, if my Palys start disappearing I'll know why at least. I've read that they are hit or miss as far as being reef safe, so I'll keep a close watch on things.

I should note the frag is closed up in that pic because the hermit had just spent some time crawling on them, cleaning between the polyps. They opened up really fast after that pics was taken.

EDIT: He's not on the Paly's today, I inspected So, who knows?

Last edited by BlueAbyss; 08-04-2009 at 09:29 PM.