Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 07-15-2013, 07:05 AM

dee105 is on a distinguished road

Hey Dom.. Are your pumps making the same noise that mine are? We have all been sleeping with fans to dull the noise out. It is that loud.. Also what settings do you have them on for the waves.. I don't know if it is just the shape of my tank, but I'm not getting any waves at all..

And Yayy for no busted out tank in the garage..
Old 07-15-2013, 12:43 PM
Banned

Leah is on a distinguished road

....but it is still only in the garage..I was all excited for nothin.
Old 07-15-2013, 01:16 PM

daplatapus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dee105 View Post
Hey Dom.. Are your pumps making the same noise that mine are? We have all been sleeping with fans to dull the noise out. It is that loud.. Also what settings do you have them on for the waves.. I don't know if it is just the shape of my tank, but I'm not getting any waves at all..

And Yayy for no busted out tank in the garage..
Ya, they are. But I've talked a few people about that and they are supposed to quieten down after a week or two. Thankfully mine are in the garage
I've been playing around with them a bit and I get really good waves on W1 and the wave duration knob turned to about setting 4-6. You might have to play with yours. But be careful! These little pumps are strong. Won't take much to cause a tsunami in your tank, lol. Keep the strength setting at S3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah View Post
....but it is still only in the garage..I was all excited for nothin.
Haha, It's coming, it's coming. I'll be bringing it in the house this weekend. But I still have a bunch of work to do on it before it gets salty. I want to build a foam rock wall to cover about 75% of the left side where the overflow is and create a 1/2 pillar kind of thing about 2/3 of the way down the back. I'll also be painting the back glass, drilling the drains, plumbing to the sump. Still haven't decided if it's cheaper to drive over to J&L and grab my sand and some dry rock for the rock wall or have them ship everything over.
Old 07-20-2013, 03:14 PM

Well, the tank is still full of water, even with all the waves
Got the back of the tank painted last night and this morning. Man it takes a lot of paint to cover 6' of tank, lol. I'm still waiting on a 1 3/4" hole bit for my 1" bulkhead so until that gets drilled the tank is staying where it is. Hopefully see it this week. Heading out on a 3 day backpacking trip to Della Falls next weekend so not much will happen now on it until Aug
Picking up the wife on Wed from Van (she went and visited family and friends in Canmore) so I get to pick up all my sand and dryrock from J&L for my rock wall. Slowly seeing progress.

Last edited by daplatapus; 07-20-2013 at 03:17 PM.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:58 PM

duncangweller is on a distinguished road

That's really nice. I want to do shaker doors on my stand too. Following along

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
Old 05-20-2014, 01:22 AM

Finally got into the paint booth:

2 coats of M.L.Campbell Clawlock. Tomorrow it gets 2 coats of white and hopefully another 2-4 coats of clear after that throughout the week.

I really have to get started on the plumbing
Old 05-21-2014, 01:08 PM

Got 2 coats of white done yesterday. Pics look the same so I won't bore you guys with them. Headed to Nanaimo today to pick up plumbing supplies and other stuff for work.
Got a call from Jeff at LifeReef last night... my new skimmer is on it's way! Yay!
Old 05-21-2014, 03:39 PM

don.ald is on a distinguished road

Looking great Dominique .
You better hurry up and get it done, with this weather you'll be back outside building the wife's garden fixtures.
Old 05-23-2014, 02:30 AM

Lol, you have no idea how accurate that statement is She's already chomping at the bit for a few things to get done.

I got a couple hours this aft to work on some of the plumbing. I had to fish all my lines up through the wall from the basement, so I opted to run that section in white spa flex. Only down side is how stiff this stuff is, but with a little grunt work I was able to get them all in. I'm planning running a Herbie set up, it's worked extremely well for me so far. Using Beananimal's flow guide, the numbers work for running a single 1" full siphon, but it seemed close, so I ran 2. This also gives me the ability to run Beananimals silent overflow should the desire hit me. I also ran a 1-1/2" safety overflow.
The returns are probably overkill. I'm planning on running 2 Waveline 12,000's. The output's on them are 1-1/4" so I ran 2, 1-1/4" lines. One on the front of the tank and one at the back. My plan is to run a line across the front with 3 - 3/4" loc-lines and the same across the back, each on their own pump. After the first 3/4" loc-lines come off, I'm going to reduce to 1", then when the second comes off, reduce to the final 3/4" loc-line.
Yesterday, while in Nanaimo I got most of the hardware I need for my cabinet doors although I've yet to order them. Hopefully that'll happen early next week.

Any suggestions on doing something different/better, let me know.
Anyway pics:

Lots of pipes for such a small hole

Old 04-28-2015, 02:52 AM

lockrookie is on a distinguished road

Dude it's been like two years since I bought those overflows from you. You have the patience of in believable proportions

50g custom daycare tank...
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=65428