Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 01-28-2013, 11:32 PM

burge1234 is on a distinguished road

If there was ever a leak in the upper tank the water would drain into the lower tank and sump not my floor. And yes you are right about it taking on air which makes it really easy to patch. Use bubblegum if you want the vacuum created by the hole would make it stick. Plus the surface would be dry to silicone. Also. If it was a full break at least my live stock would be safe in my lower tank. And yes you are right about it leaking faster but I also have a window to work with before its on my floor. A leak is a leak. And a break is a break. Doesn't matter what you have and what shape upside down side ways.... It sucks period done so you can try and say your tank is better for a break or leaks if you like but its pointless to me. What's next? Earthquake? Cause I can sum that up to.... Probably sucks as well. If you can't think outside of the box then don't get out of it!!!

As fir the air bubbles in the top.... I have had some when I water change but I just use my lift pump and suck them out. Takes about 5 min. A person could plumb a line to the top to constantly pull the air out and even run an air stone but then you are running the risk of a loss in pressure of the upper tank. I've done it though. Looks really nice..... But risky. If the lift pump fails and the air stone continues to pump you are in for a world of hurt. You would have to have the air pump on a float for safety. Or you run tge lift pump on a loop. The air in sucks from the top it feeds to the air stone in a cycle. But not sure if that's good for the water. I'm still looking into it. If any one knows that I owe yoi beer
Old 01-28-2013, 11:56 PM

Sorry lockrookie. I ment to mention that You are right about the column draining faster because the air isn't viscous like water. You just have to hope you are there when it happens. Would be easy to spot though
Old 01-29-2013, 12:17 AM
Han Solo

Ram3500 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey have you thought how a loss of gravity or a polar shift would affect your open bottom tank ? You know I'am just saying you never know it could happen. You would be laughing at all of us sheep .
Old 01-29-2013, 04:21 AM
Banned

Salt2Death is on a distinguished road

Too many negative comments! I can't understand why, is this not a hobby that should embrace ingenuity? Ideas like this should excite us not incite a forum riot..... Like school yard bully's picking on the new kid- it's a new idea and its really neat.
Bottom line, I would never built it but I will take the time to follow along and enjoy this build as I have watching many others.
Good Luck Man- It's A Cool Idea

Sent Via The Pirate Ship...
Old 01-29-2013, 04:27 AM

somewherebeyondthesea is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salt2Death View Post
Too many negative comments! I can't understand why, is this not a hobby that should embrace ingenuity? Ideas like this should excite us not incite a forum riot..... Like school yard bully's picking on the new kid- it's a new idea and its really neat.
Bottom line, I would never built it but I will take the time to follow along and enjoy this build as I have watching many others.
Good Luck Man- It's A Cool Idea

Sent Via The Pirate Ship...
+1
Old 01-29-2013, 04:42 AM

Thanks!! I was going to stop posting because of this. I can understand that this is not for everyone. Low and behold personal taste. What Im not understanding is the comments towards the problems with this tank. It's like they are just out to cut other people's designs and ideas down. Like the guy who said they can't have sumps.... Why not? I have mine hooked up no problem. They can't ask if it can have a sump they tell me. Or tell me that mine leaks worst lol. Never heard of a tank that's a more of a leak proof design. Let me ask you guys something. Do you own one? Cause I do. And all the problems you name off I'm not having.. It's actually been super easy to take care of. Alot better than I thought it would be and I haven't even built the upper tank that will make maintenance even easier. And look 10x better. So with the problems you guys seem to think it has you best stick with reefing and away from engineering
Old 01-30-2013, 07:29 PM

somewherebeyondthesea is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by burge1234 View Post
Thanks!! I was going to stop posting because of this. I can understand that this is not for everyone. Low and behold personal taste. What Im not understanding is the comments towards the problems with this tank. It's like they are just out to cut other people's designs and ideas down. Like the guy who said they can't have sumps.... Why not? I have mine hooked up no problem. They can't ask if it can have a sump they tell me. Or tell me that mine leaks worst lol. Never heard of a tank that's a more of a leak proof design. Let me ask you guys something. Do you own one? Cause I do. And all the problems you name off I'm not having.. It's actually been super easy to take care of. Alot better than I thought it would be and I haven't even built the upper tank that will make maintenance even easier. And look 10x better. So with the problems you guys seem to think it has you best stick with reefing and away from engineering

Go hard buddy! Haters gonna hate!
Old 01-30-2013, 07:59 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by burge1234 View Post

It's human nature. People are afraid of what they do not understand

Less chatter more pictures!
Old 01-30-2013, 08:19 PM

Whiston is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kien View Post
It's human nature. People are afraid of what they do not understand

Less chatter more pictures!
Yes, get 'er done!
I want to see how your coral placement ends up. it would be kind of interesting to see coral growing up into the upper display area.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:23 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

I think people understand it just fine. You're building a tank with essentially zero access. Most people like to be able to do things like place/move corals/rocks, clean stubborn coraline, clean the sand/bottom and remove unwanted pests without having to drain the tank completely. People also don't tend to like light being filtered by 1/2" glass. Doesn't mean you can't do it but you can't get upset with everyone because they think it's a bad idea which to be completely honest, whether you admit it or not, this is a pretty terrible idea.

Remember you asked for peoples experience and to see if anyone would be interested in buying it, so you got you asked for, no reason to cry about it. If you started a build thread with the intend if just sharing your creations you wouldn't get the same feedback.

My original comments were meant to be helpful, pointing out other common designs that give the exact same effect while still allowing access.

Last edited by sphelps; 01-30-2013 at 08:26 PM.

Tags
alberta, aquarium, calagry, concept, open bottom