Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Vendor Forums > Reef Wholesale > Ecotech

Old 09-06-2011, 06:20 PM

reefermadness is on a distinguished road

I don't understand why a new american made product would be MSRP $825CAD here and then market the same product for $750USD in the US, when our dollar is higher.

It really gets me when I see things like blackberries being sold for less in the US when they are made in Canada. We get screwed both ways.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:22 PM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

My guess would be shipping and duty
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694
Old 09-06-2011, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishytime View Post
My guess would be shipping and duty
NAFTA got rid of any Duty for products made in NA. Shipping....not a very good excuse IMO. Most of Ontario's market is farther south than all of the bordering states and sometimes 2 rows of states in.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:27 PM

parkinsn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishytime View Post
Don't let the "Mac" thang scare you away from these units Scott.... The media release says it's programable from the units keypad, so no puter necessary...... Although I imagine it would probably be easier to program from a puter
I don't scare easy (good thing) How many is RC bringing in? Im going to need to see one of these in action before I pull the trigger. Your 24x24 will be perfect for the trial seeing as though my new tank is 24x24
Old 09-06-2011, 06:35 PM

DAVE is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefermadness View Post
I don't understand why a new american made product would be MSRP $825CAD here and then market the same product for $750USD in the US, when our dollar is higher.

It really gets me when I see things like blackberries being sold for less in the US when they are made in Canada. We get screwed both ways.
I was wondering the same thing. How long has it been that our dollar has been close or above the parity of the US dollar? $75 is a quite a difference in price if you need multiple modules.

It's very frustrating, I look forward to the response.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:03 PM

phi delt reefer is on a distinguished road

VERY interested in the reason this time.

when i asked why the vortech powerheads were more expensive in Canada after the dollar had been above parity for MONTHS the answer i got was because the distributors had bulk purchased thousands of units when the dollar was below parity and were passing the "negative savings" onto us.

simple lesson in economics ladies and gents - when you have a fluctuating dollar in a bad economy - DONT stock up heavily on product unless its in your favour.

Hell, i have been shopping on Ebay for over 7 years and i still watch the dollar when making a big purchase.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:24 PM
Good Guy Albert

albert_dao will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to albert_dao

Quote:
Originally Posted by phi delt reefer View Post
when i asked why the vortech powerheads were more expensive in Canada after the dollar had been above parity for MONTHS the answer i got was because the distributors had bulk purchased thousands of units when the dollar was below parity and were passing the "negative savings" onto us.
LOL, really? Who told you this?
Old 09-06-2011, 08:34 PM

phi delt reefer is on a distinguished road

owner of an AUTHORIZED retail location that I shop at.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:11 PM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefermadness View Post
NAFTA got rid of any Duty for products made in NA. Shipping....not a very good excuse IMO. Most of Ontario's market is farther south than all of the bordering states and sometimes 2 rows of states in.
I may just be talkin out my arse here but, just because the unit has an ecotech sticker on it doesn't mean it was made in the US.... course I don't this this for sure, but you never know
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694
Old 09-06-2011, 10:22 PM

What ever the case it sounds like pfoster/aquadigital had some say in the final MRSP for Canada. It would be nice if he came out and told us what ever his reasons are for the higher price.