Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Pictures

Old 01-27-2013, 12:55 PM

Proteus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve View Post
It is of the bristle/firework family. I know it doesn't have the bristles, but not all of them do. Could potentially be from the eunicid family based on the setmntation and "legs" but I can't really tell from the pic.
+1

But if it bothers you trap it. I'm sure there's more though. Population is dependant on food source.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:30 PM

GoFish is on a distinguished road

it "appears" to be the only one as i usually spend about 1/2< hr looking at the tank each night...
I found... this, ....seems to be the closest thing i've found perhaps i will remove it if possible, but itslinks forward and backward really quickly
Old 01-27-2013, 07:45 PM

Xadieu is on a distinguished road

My friend moved one of his live rock in his sump and later at night he went to check his sump and this is what he found...

Old 01-27-2013, 09:51 PM

reefgirl189 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xadieu View Post
My friend moved one of his live rock in his sump and later at night he went to check his sump and this is what he found...
I swear I've seen that creature like that in one of my nightmares before.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:18 PM

It is deff not fun seeing something like that while admiring your tank on a Sunday night with a beer in your hand.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:02 AM

carriej is on a distinguished road

I found a HUGE bristleworm in my tank the other night while feeding the fish. It just kept coming and coming out the sand I never thought it would end.

Aliens must have put it there; because my tank is only three months old. LOL kidding.. Musta came from the live rock.

Anyway I took it out with some tweezers, put it in a bowl and scared my husband with it.. lol... I thought about letting it live in the sump but I just wasn't comfortable with that thing tramping around anywhere. It had to die.

RIP alien bristleworm.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:30 AM

Haha I would put it in the sump and feed it every night to see how long I can grow it.
Old 11-06-2013, 04:18 AM

GoFish is on a distinguished road

Re-Uping this thread as it's been 10 months and never did update as to what happened. The worm was definitely a Oenone Fulgida, not sure if there's a more common name. One night i watched this worm come out of it's hole and attempt to take out a blue legged hermit crab. It crawled under neath the hermit and injected some sort of stringy dart into the underside of the crab as it crawled away i could see a small strand as the worm tried to pull the crab back toward it. Most certainly a predator. I tried catching it several times, most often comes out at night only and is light and vibration shy, which makes it difficult to sneak up on. As i had mentioned earlier in the thread, they are EXTREMELY FAST. I eventually got fed up and took the rock out and placed it into the oven at 350 for an hour, BYE BYE!

Then...about 2 weeks ago i bought live rock and livestock out of another canreef members tank. The purchase also included a very large turbo snail. A week after the purchase and transfer to my second tank i can see the turbo on the sand bed with a sneaky worm working his way inside the snails shell! It turns out i have another one
I don't have a photo of this one but its more cream/brown colored with yellowish legs. Similar to this...

Round 2, FIGHT!

http://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/35...-fulgida-worms

If anyone sees these hitchhiker worms in their tank, I'd highly recommend following the link and instructions provided and attempt to catch it, unless of course you don't mind dead snails and hermits.

My very large Turbo Snail as of yesterday has succumbed to his injuries RIP

Aside from killing your CUC they will however devour a large amount of wasted food in one sitting such as silversides, aside from the gross slime i guess that's a good thing

Tags
hitch hiker, worm