Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Lighting Specific

Old 09-23-2010, 01:53 AM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatcaneyedo View Post
Hooray another SE vs DE argument!

Sanjay Joshi uses DE.
http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index....k-of-the-month

Coming next week: 'Should I use T5 or MH?' followed by 'Which skimmer is best?'... lol and around and around we go.

Edit: I am actually quite curious about how these compare. My choice to stay with DE was highly influenced by these bulbs.
acording to the article you posted he is using 3X400W metal halide lamps in Pacific Garden Supply’s Lumen Arc III which are SE fixtures that he rates very high as it has adjustable bulb positioning and other very nice qualities.. Maybe you should read the articles befor you post them and he is running 400watt Ushios.

Oh, and he also uses IceCap LED strips for his actinic.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.

Last edited by StirCrazy; 09-23-2010 at 01:58 AM.
Old 09-23-2010, 02:03 AM

whatcaneyedo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to whatcaneyedo

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirCrazy View Post
acording to the article you posted he is using 3X400W metal halide lamps in Pacific Garden Supply’s Lumen Arc III which are SE fixtures that he rates very high as it has adjustable bulb positioning and other very nice qualities.. Maybe you should read the articles befor you post them and he is running 400watt Ushios.

Oh, and he also uses IceCap LED strips for his actinic.

Steve
Burn! You might want read the rest of the article for yourself.

"3X400W metal halide lamps in Pacific Garden Supply’s Lumen Arc III reflectors were my initial choice... More recent changes made to the lighting involve changing the reflectors to Sunlight Supply Lumen Max III reflectors."

http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index....k-of-the-month

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM
The 10th Annual Prince George Reef Tank Tour
Old 09-23-2010, 03:26 AM

meenamjah is on a distinguished road

sorry for the noob question... what's the difference between SE and DE?
Old 09-23-2010, 03:46 AM

xtreme is on a distinguished road

SE = Single ended (Mogul Base)
DE = Double ended
Old 09-23-2010, 02:27 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatcaneyedo View Post
Burn! You might want read the rest of the article for yourself.

actualy I did, missed that one.

but dosn't show anything either way. his own tests over the years have showen SE's have better output and coverage when powered by the same ballasts, heck my own tests have showen SE's have a lot better out put also.

what I did find interesting is the MH/LED combo.. where are the T5s?

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:50 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Thanks for all the input everyone! I know the SEs are difficult to get a hold of, but I do have a US mailing address if needed. Once a year replacement really isn't a big deal. However, if I put the effort into doing that, I would be HIGHLY disappointed if they weren't very similar to the Phoenix DEs.

I'm going to be using electronic ballasts, and if I use DEs I would have to retrofit my SE pendants, which is one of the reasons why I want to use SE bulbs. I'm using a DE fixture right now, but I am all out of DE bulbs with the current bulbs needing replacement. Time to put the pendants to use...and I would rather not have to retrofit them to accept DE bulbs. PAR isn't a huge concern, but I'm also not into wasting electricity on an inefficient setup. My current setup is inefficient for a number of reasons, and the corals are getting plenty enough PAR, but more for "free" is almost always better.

SPS fanatic.

Last edited by Myka; 09-23-2010 at 10:56 PM.