Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Lighting Specific

Old 08-05-2010, 07:35 PM

trilinearmipmap is on a distinguished road

I have been thinking about it and I expect the main factors to differentiate between the AquaIllumination and Vertex fixtures would be reliability, ease of repair and support. I am sure each fixture makes a monster amount of light.The light spread mentioned above may be an issue for the Vertex or may not. But more than anything, if you are dropping a few thousand dollars on a light fixture, you want to make sure you are covered if something goes wrong.

I don't know much about the Vertex company. I have seen some of their products advertised over the past year or so. I had thought they were a lower-cost company but now seeing their LED fixture prices maybe I got that wrong. Anyway is this the same Vertex that makes calcium reactors, media reactors etc? If it is the same company then I wonder what reputation they have for product reliability and support?

Another factor in comparing the two fixtures is expandability. For the AI fixture, if you go from a 4 foot to a 6 foot tank, you just buy two more modules and a longer mounting rail system. So AI would seem to have the edge here.
Herbie's silent overflow system
Jebao DC 12000 return pump
Jecod CP-40 Cross-flow circulation device
Mini Bubble King 180
Barr Aquatics calcium reactor
Bucket fuge
Old 08-08-2010, 03:09 PM

TheDogFather is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by trilinearmipmap View Post
I have been thinking about it and I expect the main factors to differentiate between the AquaIllumination and Vertex fixtures would be reliability, ease of repair and support. I am sure each fixture makes a monster amount of light.The light spread mentioned above may be an issue for the Vertex or may not. But more than anything, if you are dropping a few thousand dollars on a light fixture, you want to make sure you are covered if something goes wrong.

I don't know much about the Vertex company. I have seen some of their products advertised over the past year or so. I had thought they were a lower-cost company but now seeing their LED fixture prices maybe I got that wrong. Anyway is this the same Vertex that makes calcium reactors, media reactors etc? If it is the same company then I wonder what reputation they have for product reliability and support?

Another factor in comparing the two fixtures is expandability. For the AI fixture, if you go from a 4 foot to a 6 foot tank, you just buy two more modules and a longer mounting rail system. So AI would seem to have the edge here.
Vertex is not a low-cost company, they are German company that offer some of the industries most innovative products, in Canada and the U.S. Proline Aquatics wholesalers support the product so no worries, they do a great job supporting their customers.

The Vertex Illumina is manufactured for Vertex in Austria and I suspect that Gemini Lighting; http://www.gemini-licht.com/ are the actual manufacturers but don't quote me on that.

I looked at the new AI's and one thing that really turned me off was the white plastic skirt around the bottom half of the fixture, it glows when the fixture is on and and I find that very distracting. The Illumina by contrast is like a Stealth Bomber over your tank also the programming options and upgradeability on the Illumina leave the AI in the dust.

Cheers!

-TDF

Last edited by TheDogFather; 08-08-2010 at 03:11 PM.
Old 08-08-2010, 03:41 PM

trilinearmipmap is on a distinguished road

Thanks for everyone's input on this. After considering the pros and cons I have decided on a PowerModule for these reasons.

1. Lots of "Tank of The Month" type tanks, particularly from Europe, run PowerModules.

2. The PowerModules have been around long enough to have a track record for reliability.

3. If I buy a PowerModule now, then in one or two years if I sell the PowerModule to buy a high-end LED fixture, I will lose $500.00 depreciation on my PowerModule, but the LED fixture will have gone down in price likely by more than $500.00, so I will at least break even.

4. It is just too risky to be one of the first buyers of one of these pricey LED systems. By getting the PowerModule I have a 100% chance of getting an 8/10 quality fixture, compared to gambling on a 75% chance of getting a 10/10 quality LED fixture.
Herbie's silent overflow system
Jebao DC 12000 return pump
Jecod CP-40 Cross-flow circulation device
Mini Bubble King 180
Barr Aquatics calcium reactor
Bucket fuge
Old 08-08-2010, 03:42 PM
acanthastrea freak

Skimmerking is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Skimmerking Send a message via MSN to Skimmerking

YUP Dogfather put your vid on of your tank.. i would go that lighting that he has its the bomb..

but too much $$$$$$ for my blood .. wellllllllllllllllllllllll may be