![]() |
|
|
|
#1
|
|||||
|
|||||
|
I use a large fish net to wash my sand but there is some sand loss, maybe something like pantyhose?
![]()
__________________
Feed the bear goodies, make a new friend, don't feed the bear............... 8' - 165gal Reef DIY LED's Build 2012 Nano Contest Winner Febuary 2013 POTM Winner 300 gal + 60 gal Complete DIY Build |
|
#2
|
|||||
|
|||||
|
I have used a cheap large pump with a hose on the intake and a filter sock on the outlet. Suck up the sand/ water with the pump and the filter sock attached to the outlet will catch the sand. It has been my most effective attempt to remove the sand.
__________________
360 gallon sps reef, 180 gal sump, bubble king supermarine 300, 4xmp40Wes, 2 x 6215 tunze waveboxes, 4 ghl mitras 360 Reef Tank |
|
#3
|
|||||
|
|||||
|
what micron rating was the sock? I find the sugar sand has a lot of "dust" that gets through and into everything and anything
|
|
#4
|
|||||
|
|||||
|
I think 100 they were useless for the tank as the would clog in hrs. It defiantly was not ideal but i got the sand from my frag tank.
__________________
360 gallon sps reef, 180 gal sump, bubble king supermarine 300, 4xmp40Wes, 2 x 6215 tunze waveboxes, 4 ghl mitras 360 Reef Tank |
|
#5
|
|||||
|
|||||
|
Problem with the sock idea is that I'd have to empty it every 15 seconds, which means stopping the siphon and managing the sock with 1 hand
If I could find a really large one?? hmmm
__________________
Brad |
|
#6
|
|||||
|
|||||
|
When I've removed sand before as part of a water change it siphons out with zero mess. I'd suggest not doing it all at once. You can suck a ton of sand out if you're doing a 40% change.
|
|
#7
|
|||||
|
|||||
|
Quote:
Ideally, I'd like to remove sand with siphon, return water to the tank, repeat, until all the sand is gone. Ideally... ![]()
__________________
Brad |
![]() |
| Thread Tools | |
| Display Modes | |
|
|