Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-04-2014, 05:21 AM

asylumdown is on a distinguished road

Awesome build. Next tank I'm going to construct rock with rods exactly like that.

I think what you might not be liking is the way that arch is visually offsetting against the rock on the other side of the tank. Try to think in terms of photography and the rule of thirds. Take a picture of your tank with the rocks in it and place two equally spaced horizontal lines and two equally spaced vertical lines across the image and see how those rocks you've got in there are positioned relative to the lines and their intersections. You've got a really strong visual feature that spans the full height of your tank on the left and sort of cascades down, then over in the other corner there's this tall, narrow structure that is almost an inverse of what's happening on the left and doesn't really visually relate to anything.

Since you've got the ability and patience to make structures like that, your options are pretty much endless, but FWIW I've never really been in love with the idea of a classic arch in a tank. Between the mish mash of rocks that go in to building them, and the rods they need to be attached to, they always seem to end up looking like a pop-corn necklace. It's almost impossible to make them look like they belong. I've seen it work in tanks that have really big footprints in both length and width as the bases of the arches can be built up enough to make it all fit together with the rest of the scape, but it's a challenging shape to work with.