Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-10-2013, 03:12 PM

letsdiscus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ataller View Post
Hello there.

I am not an expert by any means, however, I might be able to save you a head ache though.

I have a very similar setup as you do. Herbie to a basement sump. If you would like I could probably find some pictures.

I see that your gate valve is display side, not sump side.

You will find that you get noisy cavitation by having the gate valve at the top. You should plumb in the gate valve as close to the water line in the sump as possible. That way the entire drain will be full of water until the end. It is easier to push the air bubble out of the drain that way.

If anyone disagrees please post, I would hate to steer him wrong. This was however, my experience in the past with my tank.

Adam
Thanks Adam. Unfortunately i have glued the ball valve already and there is no room to cut the PVC and join it back with Union. Will wait to see how i can control the flow/noise once i start the leak test.

Many thanks for your inputs. Would appreciate if you can share your setup pics as well.

Tags
93 gallon startphire cube, reef