Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > FOWLR

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-07-2010, 02:07 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Ah I see. Well first things first you will have to weed out all the fish that aren't reef-safe.

Some test kits are in order. For calcium and alkalinity I would suggest API or Elos (or get your Salifert's calibrated against more accurate kits as they seem to be fairly unreliable). For magnesium I have found my Salifert to be trusty and easy to use.

If the coral load is low, once you dose the tank to the appropriate level, and pre-dose your water change water to appropriate levels you should be able to keep up to demand simply by doing weekly 10-25% water changes.

For supplements, I have always found that aquarium designed products produce better results (that often only experienced reefers may notice, so maybe not too important for more novice keepers). However, your tank is a significant size and it can get pricey to dose. As far as aquarium designed products go I have used many products and have found Fauna Marin Calcium chloride hydro-somethingorother to be my favourite calcium supplement on the market right now. I haven't tried their alkalinity supplement yet, but i am looking forward to it. For alkalinity I have been using SeaChem, and it works well. I prefer the Reef Buffer 8.3 to the Reef Builder product as the former mixes easier and helps keep pH over 8.0.

For magnesium I am using littlesilvermax's premixed ratio. I do like it, but I am going to try Fauna Marin's magnesium product when it runs out. I am so impressed with their calcium product I am going to switch all of my "big three" over to their products.

However, for just getting started I really see no reason to not use littlesilvermax's products for all of the "big three". Many seasoned reefers on here use his products exclusively. They are cheap, and they work.

SPS fanatic.