Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > FOWLR

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-05-2009, 02:42 PM

jassz is on a distinguished road
Default Moving Live Rocks, Treating Ick

I have not been having great luck with my tank lately. You can read some of the previous history in this thread. http://canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=54655

Last week we had a record breaking heat wave here. The tank temp stayed around 85.8 for a few days. Not sure if it's relevant, but I thought I'd mention it. It's never usually ever that hot.

I went out of town for a few days, and the neighbour came over to feed the fish. When I got back yesterday, I could see that Fabio (the lionfish) was covered in white spots. Pretty sure it's ick. No doubt brought on by the stress of missing me.

So, the last time I treated a trigger fish for ick, it was a bit of a disaster. First I treated him in the main tank, which was really hard on the rocks. Then I tried to quarantine him, and he was dead by morning.

So this time around, I decided to move the rocks instead, and treat the main tank. I bought a gynormous rubbermaid container, and put some of the rocks that had the most growth on them. I left the rest in the main tank. I hung a plant light over top of the container (not specifically an aquarium light, just a light for growing indoor plants. I've had it over the sump and there is a lot of growth near that light), and I put in a silicone tube from a bubble maker to keep the water moving. I moved the cowrie snail and a few of the hermit crabs as well. I took out about 20% of the tank water to cover them with.

I then treated the main tank (which just had a 20% water change as a result of moving the rocks) with petcetra Ick treatment, and I plan to add more every 24hours.

Does this seem like a reasonable course of action? I really want to improve my success rate with treating fish! Do the rocks require a lot of water movement, or just some? I can get a video of the setup, if that helps.

Thanks!
jassz

Last edited by jassz; 08-05-2009 at 02:45 PM.