Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal > Canreef Nano Tank Build Contest #2

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-05-2009, 07:58 PM

BlueAbyss is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bignose View Post
I was just kidding around with the ghetto green comment. looks like most of it is macro. I found I didn't mind it as long as it wasen't GHA. I liked Halimeda in my tank because looked like a tree or bush.
Hmm, now you've got me thinking about this... maybe this long algae isn't GHA. I'll have to do some more research on the subject... I have at least 7 different kinds of growth on this rock, including coralline and some green discs that come and go pretty quickly. It does grow quickly and gets quite long... single, unbranched strands... *EDIT: as it turns out, most of it was Bryopsis which branches like a foxtail. The really long strands were actually GHA...*

When I post some new pics, you may be able to tell me if it's GHA... if so, no big deal, I've been physically removing it (but something will need to be done). I'll have something in there competing for nutrients soon enough anyhow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
I've never heard of those fish as being algae eaters, a couple snails or crabs would be better.
Aww... well, thanks for your input. Back to the drawing board on that one. I'll admit that I've read conflicting information... one website characterized these guys as sand sifters, another had them feeding on pods and filamentous algae. Still, they are nice little fish, and either way they will serve a purpose.

Anyhow, now I have a tentative stocking plan! Rather, a finalized tentative stocking plan...

2 x Pom Pom Crabs
1 x Rainford Goby
1 x Royal Gramma
A shrimp or 3 (single if Bumblebee Shrimp don't hang out together, a pair if they do... or 3 Sexy Shrimp). I may skip these.
A few Snails, haven't decided what kind yet... something that stays small, and will clean the glass (or turn the sand if the Goby isn't a sifter). I'll likely choose 2 kinds and get a pair or so of each.

Green Hair Algae (or whatever the green stuff is
Mermaid's Fan
Mermaid's Wine Glass (if I can find it)
Halimeda
Other macros that I can hopefully get from Canreef members...

Various Zoanthids, Palythoas
Micromussa
Acanthastrea
Echinophyllia
A photosynthetic gorgonian (leaning towards Pseudoterogorgia, but not sure if I have enough light)
A small derasa clam (though this tank will probably get upgraded before it's ready for a clam)

So that's where I'm at right now. I'll not be adding any more rock to this tank, unless I find the perfect piece (or some falls in my lap).

Last edited by BlueAbyss; 07-29-2009 at 08:26 AM.