Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old Today, 07:03 PM

cen is on a distinguished road
Default Help/advice needed

Hello everyone! Need advice and please be kind. I used to have a very nice mixed reef 180 gallon salt water tank. Long story short, I had a severe bout of mental health issues and everything has dried up. It unfortunately has been like that for about 5 years. I’m in a better space mentally now and I wish to start over. Can I reuse the sand or how should I clean it or just buy new? I’d have to go digging, the bottom layers might still have some moisture. Can I just refill the tank and really take it slow with water changes until I eventually get new lights and cycle the tank? I have professional experience and I used to move tanks for a living, but this exact situation has never come up for me thanks in advance

Some details: 180 gallon tank with previous 200 pounds of live rock. 280 pounds of previously live deep sand bed. Was running successfully for 5 years before stuff happened. Originally had metal hilide lights (bad episode of hair algae whipped out all coral inverts and fish. I never did clean out the hair algae but it’s dried now) Please note, I got rid of the metal hilides and switching to led once I can afford it. I have a 220 gallons n hang on the back skimmer with an ecoteck 60 wave maker. No sump (I know I know!) 10 gallon hang on the back refugium and 2 110 gallon hang on the back filters. Tank is not plumbed for a sump.