Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 06-17-2024, 09:11 PM

Phormium is on a distinguished road
Default Retiring my reef tank

After many years in the hobby, it’s finally time for me to get ready to leave it.
I’ll be formally retiring from working by 2025 and part of the strategy to lower my expenses and maintenance is to give up the tank. We also hope to be away for parts of the year and it’ll be nice not to have to worry about tank sitters anymore.
To that end, I want to come up with a plan to phase out the tank by the end of this year. I actually started that a while back by giving away corals and doing some serious pruning on others. I haven’t purchased a new fish in years as part of the strategy.
So my 120gal has very few fish (and the biggest is maybe 2” long) but it has some large coral colonies that have essentially cemented the rock together so that I’m daunted by how to remove them. A few others are loose and will be easy to remove but a couple with gorgeous structure may be seriously damaged in my efforts to remove them.
Does anyone have helpful advice or know of videos or other information about tearing apart a reef? I’ve seen a few YouTube but they were intended for easy frag removal, not large cemented colonies.
I can post pics if that’s helpful.
I’ll miss the tank—the clown gobies are endlessly entertaining—but I’m looking forward to the freedom to concentrate on other things.